7.21.2005

The garden is going crazy!!!

We expanded the garden this year from 6' x 8' to 6' x 15'. Quite a substantial increase. As the pictures prove, I think I underestimated the power of truly organic soil! Sheesh! Seriously, I babied the heck out of the soil before planting anything. I put about 20bags of top soil, compost that I had in a bin from last year and sporadic composting from a local area. I used several small cans of coffee grounds and the manure of a few cows.

The plants appeared to be spaced with adequate room several weeks ago, but POW!!! I will really approach this garden systematically next year so that it actually "looks" good. The main goal is the harvest though, right? So far, we have gotten 4 zucchinis, 4 cucumbers and 4 sweet banana peppers and 3 tomatoes. Maybe '4' is the lucky number with this garden. Who knows. Anyway, the harvest has been decent thus far. I cannot wait for more of the tomatoes to rippen up so that we can make a nice tomato salad. I have a bad feeling that there are going to be a ridiculous amount of tomatoes though. No problem. We have several family members and friends who will take the donation. I also have four eggplant plants that I cannot wait for. Two American varieties and two Rosa Bianca varieties. They take longer than most of the other plants. I really should have segregated my herbs a bit better, but the excitement of getting everything planted prevented a more organized approach. I really have to dig for the herbs. I have Italian parsley and two types of Thyme. Make sure to segregate cucumbers! Sheesh! They choke and climb on everything near them.
I really placed the zucchini plant in a bad spot...THE MIDDLE. Idiot!!! I have to climb in there like I am playing twister and cut the zucchinis paying special attention to the foliage as to not break any of the stems or leaves....As you can see within the pics, I used old CD-R discs to try and scare off the birds that felt like snacking on the garden. Initially these things worked great, but then the foliage began the ungodly growth spurt that blocked the discs from reflecting the sun's rays and keeping the birds away. For the most part, they have stayed away because I have not really noticed any half-eaten fruit or leaves...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Well, That's the garden.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Great idea about the CDs...I wonder if they would scare off racoons?

Your garden looks great!

shqipo said...

Wow! Is that garden legal? :) Write my name on your, uhm, "tomato list"! Or we can make a deal: I give you AOL CDs, you give me tomatoes :)

shqipo said...

I just noticed it: looks like you're quite insecure that someone will steal those CDs...:)

Josue' said...

The garden is barely legal, but definitely OVER 21 ;)....You are on the short list for the harvest; I must support my albo brethren and help you keep your boyish figure. LOL. You can send those AOL snail mail spam items my way.

As far as my insecurities go, that's my business... ;)

Kathy,
I have only seen one racoon in my area and that was about two years ago. So far so go. I think a racoon could easily pummel my garden if it wanted to. I will keep my fingers crossed....

Anonymous said...

Nice "herb" garden. Looks like your attention to detail has spawned a healthy looking garden. Good job!

shqipo said...

Uhm...was that Libera I saw this morning at the Farmers' Market? This explains how you can afford exotic European trips and fancy cars... :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! wirephone online payments Planning retirement software the official site of the bets topamax reactions how to manually control your cpu fan