3.07.2006

What does a Puerto Rican look like?



In honor of my love for the game of beisbol and my disdain for ethnocentric humans, I have decided to explore the topic of what it's like to be me....a Puerto Rican, a person who is not monolingual, a person who always felt different growing up, but yet never out of place because I knew I would always be safe in a home that preserved and valued Boricua culture and customs.

As some of you may not care to acknowledge, the World Baseball Classic is currently going on with 7 Latin countries respresenting dozens of the greatest beisbol players in the world. I pulled down the pics (several players had no pics on the site I was at) of the majority of the Puerto Rican players on the Puerto Rican national team. As you can clearly see, the colors of the melanin rainbow permeate and the untrained eye would not be able to distinguish each and everyone one of these guys as being "Puerto Rican". The ignorance to ethnicity and culture is fascinating to me. I must admit that I have fallen into the trap before myself when looking at people from many of the Asian cultures. "They all look the same...." is something I have been guilty of thinking before. I know that observation is far from saying or thinking that my own culture is supreme, but I digress for now...Anyway, my point of this post was to show several of the Boricua players and how atypical they may seem to the unPuertoRican eyes out there......Go PR!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

shqipo said...

They all look the same... :P

I guess I'm one of those who don't care to acknowledge.

Josue' said...

Remind me of all the albanians in pro sports......Not just US sports either.....

Ballet and orchestra does not count! :p

shqipo said...

Oh...you had to go there, didn't you? I had no intention of disrespecting Ricans, but...OK, let's give you a wikipedian lesson then:

1. what's your definition of "professional?"
2. I wasn't aware that Albania is part of the U.S. of A.
3. Tae Domi (Toronto Maple Leafs) is Albanian
4. A guy who played with the US Olympic volleyball team is Albanian
5. Is shooting a professional sport? Cause we're pretty good at that - both at the Olympic range and on the street :P

The D said...

I always hate when I get the statement, "Oh, you don't look Puerto Rican."

I always come back with, "What is a Puerto Rican supposed to look like?"

Never do get an answer.

Anonymous said...

some times we all do look the same!!!

The D said...

Lost to Cuba! At least it was not Korea.

Josue' said...

Yeah...I know...It was a tough thing to see...

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! akai flat panel television Pamela anderson softcore video automatic gate opener reviews us travellers car insurance Bargin travel insurance us multi trip travel insurance denmark Phone disconnects dsl Vacuum cleaner bags and belts newgrounds sex games multi trip holiday insurance south america panama multi trip insurance Car equipment polish insurance travel visitor Leibherr upright freezers Ford 272 lawn mower Accutane council asbestos hazards legal Seroquel consta interior design inspiration North chicago dental insurance Subaru cabin filter wrx

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!