4.05.2006

Apocalypto


I heard about this film a few months ago and I read some more info on it today and I am hyped to see it. I am a huge fan of Mel Gibson directed films. Even if you were to remove the storylines and subject matter, you are left with an amazingly detailed and scored film that really strikes so many emotions. The Passion of the Christ was amazing in terms of it's cinema graphic qualities. Some people were upset at the use of an old (Aramaic) language, but I really think it lends to the authenticity of a film. If you can read, you should not be upset a subtitles. Man, get over it! The use of light, sound, costumes, camera angles and many other subtleties made that movie one of my absolute favorites.
I think Apocalypto has a lot to live up to since The Passion set the bar pretty high for Gibson. I really enjoy documentaries about the Mayan people and find the artifacts and historical accounts from that time intriguing. Apparently, Gibson is resurrecting an old Mayan language for this film as well. I'm not even Mexican, but I think attention to the Mayan people is a great situation and should spur interest that may not have been achieved otherwise. The teaser trailer for the film looks interesting, but I hope they release another one soon for more of a sense of the characters. CG gets lame sometimes and I think this film will do a great job in the use of realism based on dozens of takes on certain scenes and an obsessive attention detail on Gibson's directing. We shall see......

8 comments:

The D said...

I look forward to seeing this film. But I will never watch The Passion of the christ. The historical inaccuracy and (someone elses idea of) the story itself just does not interest me. From what I hear it is just an hour and a half Snuff film. No thanks.

Josue' said...

EVERY film on aspects from biblical times is someone's idea based on their own interpretation of the bible chapter(s) and verses.

I bet if Michael Moore directed The Passion, you'd have the director's cut. :p

Anonymous said...

I am also looking forward to seeing this movie, mostly to see how accurate Mel is. I am interested in knowing which ancient language he is reviving because as far as I know Yucatan Maya is the ancient language still used. K'iche or Quiché is still spoken by several million people and interesting enough, it's the language in which the Maya wrote their famous mythological document called the Popol Wuj.

I haven't read anything about the movie so I have no idea what it's about. I want to be surprised and hopefully, not shocked. I saw the Passion and once was enough. It is just too painful to watch. It's an excellent film and beautifully acted. The use of Aramaic, the actual language spoken by Christ, was fantastic. Now that's a language you hardly hear nowadays except in small areas of the Middle East.

I admire Mel's tenacity in tackling such difficult historical themes.

The D said...

That Michael Moore comment was pretty low...let me see. I am sure that you would claim your wife as a child in order to get the discount at the movie theater. Haha...you are cheap. There. Are we even?

Josue' said...

Ha....Have you been watching us go to the movies lately or something? :)

shqipo said...

Ouch! I think there won't be any movie-going for JD in a while - baby needs diapers! :)

About the movie...that's the first time I heard about it.

Anonymous said...

Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.
Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

Anonymous said...

This movie looks good. Cant wait to see it. I'm with Josue' on this and LOL at the Michael Moore comment.