5.16.2006

Animals are wild....?

So, I was checking out the yahoo news and came across an interesting article discussing how a sloth bear ate a macaque monkey. This happened on the grounds of a zoo in Amsterdam, but lets think for a second of the horrible concept of zoos anyway. Should this surprise any of the "horrified" visitors? I would be pissed to be locked up in a cage or some pseduo-habitat. On the flip side, I can appreciate animal sanctuaries because if they are getting proper medical care and being nursed back to health, they will require much less of an open habitat due to the dependence on humans, but perfectly healthy animals are psychologically and physiologically confined within zoos. Don't get me wrong, I still go to zoos and if I had kids, I would take them there also, but it seems to be one of those things that when you truly think of it, is pretty horrible....Zoos are not as bad as circuses, but not that far off.

Anyway, back to this story, the monkey gets stunned when the bear chases it to an electric fence. Man, that sounds like a bad Power Puff Girls episode! Sheesh...If this happened in the US, people would be so bent out of shape that it would dominate front page news and be the headline on network news. I love how the Dutch park handled it by saying "Of course the habitats here in the safari park are arranged in such a way that one animal almost never kills another, but they are and remain wild animals,". That is absolutely true. Lock me up in a small space and I am chasing anything that moves.... :p

3 comments:

shqipo said...

I read that one too. But hey, zoos are just an imitation of the real nature, just in a smaller scale. Perhaps bears don't have monkeys around where they live, but that poor monkey would've been torn up by some other animal anyway.

Josue' said...

An example of Darwinism for the horrified masses....

shqipo said...

Yessir - I'm sure something designed not so intellintly ;-)