11.27.2006

Thoughts on the Slingbox

If you have not heard of the Slingbox, then you might want to crawl out from under the rock you are living under. From a business perspective, this is true genius. From my own affliction of pragmatism, it's a nicely designed paperweight. I mean, give me a break, am I that hooked on my cable that I essentially need a huge extension of AV to my home? Please. The funny thing is that many consumers have gone away from the wired model for their home networks and into wireless. I have both....on purpose, but not for the Slingbox.

The funny thing is that if you are a business traveler, the locales in which you would log in would most likely have a firewall that would kill your dreams of remotely viewing your cable/sat provider channels. So, is the thinking that I would hit up the nearest free WiFi spot and log in to my home cable to watch that must see episode of House? Uh.........lame. Or would I just impress my friends by logging in from their house and pat myself on the back? Again, from a business perspective, this capitalizes on the perception that people NEED to view a particular show at a particular time. DVR anyone? Sheesh. Hats off to the boys from San Mateo, CA who thought of this concept two years ago and are marketing the F out of it and moving product.

6 comments:

The D said...

Just log on from your Phone or PDA. No fire wall, just small screen, but better than nothing.

Josue' said...

Right, but phone/PDA internet is a joke...complete throwing of cash out the window...

The D said...

I take offence to your ignoramus comment. I gets it unlimited for 5$ in my plan. And I use it to check email and to check google maps and for the info. Get wit the times, Grandpa!^_^

Josue' said...

ha...I am with the times. Remind me how that map looks on a nice 2" screen. Let me answer that...Like trash!

$5 a month? I'd rather drop $60 a year in my gas tank.....or maybe toilet paper... :p

The D said...

You would be shocked if I showed you just how good Gmaps looks. Oh, and Get rid of your car. you wont have to worry about gas ever again. I don't even know how much gas costs anymore.

Josue' said...

If I was in a place where FULL mass public transit existed, I'd rid myself of a car very quickly.