11.21.2006

You gonna eat that......?

I was reminded of a somewhat interesting phenomenon that some of you may not have experienced yet in your life. We had a meeting at work today and food was brought in. Nothing too gourmet, but some edible deli sandwiches, a monster Greek salad and a dessert tray. Well, as I was filling my plate with some of the Greek salad, I thought about how as a child I seemed to avoid certain foods for silly reasons or I just legitimately did not find the taste of these foods to be worthwhile. The beets in the salad are what triggered my thoughts. I NEVER ate beets as a child; I really like them now. I suppose I can understand if one was sheltered from certain foods that may contribute to not being able to really determine if one liked or disliked a particular food, but I had a pretty assorted diet in terms of fruits and vegetables. Another food I did not like as a child was Pecans. I love them now. I'm not talking super sweet Pecan pie because I'm not a fan of that, but shelled Pecans are excellent and I was reminded of this recently when a friend of mine gave me a bag that his family from Georgia sent up from a farm they own. Man, those MFs were excellent! Lima beans would be the next food item I did not care for as a kid. I could eat a bowl of those any day.

Anyway, you get the point. Has this happened to any of you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to eat tacos with just meat and lettuce. I add salsa and cheeze now.

Dave said...

I still can't eat mayo unless it's in a tunafish sandwich. I still can't eat fresh strawberries but I'll eat stuff flavored with them. I still hate pickles. I do like brussel sprouts, which I never had as a kid. I guess the closest thing to what you're talking about for me are avocados. I neither liked them nor hated them as a kid but I love them now. Oh and also bloody chicken colons. those are great.

Anonymous said...

I had the same issue like you with beets. And then fish... not too fond of it as a child, but love it now. It could be the bones though, since back home we'd have to pick the bones every damn time, no ready to eat "fillets" available, just fresh fish, head included.

Josue' said...

Fillets are NOT the essence of eating fish. It's all about the skeleton, head and tail...You are a prisoner of modern society, my friend. :p

The D said...

I used to hate Avacados when I was a child, then I moved to the States and started to really love them. Other then that, there is nothing that I didnt like. The Canty's are notorious picky eaters. I remember they would not touch anything they didnt know...how american.

Josue' said...

I love Avocado. Always have.



Could a Canty please elaborate on what D pointed out?

Anonymous said...

WTH is a Canty?