12.16.2006

Unconditional Love?

Ok. Here's the situation. I recently overheard a conversation when I was somewhere about a person talking about how much they loved pets. The two people talking were fans of dogs very much UNLIKE myself. One person said, "I just love the unconditional love that my dog gives me." The other person says, "I know exactly what you mean. When I come home from work, it's so nice to have my dog get sooo excited to see me." You idiots!! You interpret THAT as love?! Pavlov, anyone? Sheesh, the dog does not "love" you. The dog just knows that you are the person who will feed it, let it outside to fertilize your grass, and walk it whenever you do that sort of thing. Unconditional love with pets and people is a human construct that just sounds nice, but means nothing. Swing for the fences with a golf club on that dogs hind parts or scream at it X number of times and see how its "unconditional love" just happens to change. Many people say babies and children show unconditional love, but again, not true. They lack the understanding on what love is. They just mimic what adults do as far as kissing other people and hugging and things like that.

People claim that caring for a sick loved one is a form of unconditional love, but that's not true. It's most likely the reciprocation of the care and support given by that person before they were sick.

My point is that there are ALWAYS conditions to love. Every time. No question. Thinking otherwise is just avoiding reality or seeing things for truly what they are. Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Dave said...

Damn man, you should visit the Wizard of Oz. I think your heart is ready.

shqipo said...

Dr. Diaz has spoken!

Josue' said...

dave,
LOL! So, tell me what you really think. :p

Anonymous said...

classical conditioning

Anonymous said...

According to your definition, you don't love your baby because your baby hasn't provided a condition for you. Is this correct?

Josue' said...

Anon,
Babies should be loved because the "condition" is that they did not ask to be brought into the world and should get love by default.