7.25.2007

To tat or not to tat....THAT is the ?

I was talking with L the other night about tats. No, not that I am considering one. Not my bag. Love the art, love the symbolism, even know of great designs I would be proud of. The main issue I have is that I will not be a youthful, tight-fleshed, streamlined specimen forever. An old man with tats is really not that cool. Unless dude owns a tat studio or "lives the lifestyle", it really, again, is not that cool.

I have friends who have tats and it's cool for them, but call me when they are in their 60's and that tribal art, asian script or cross have changed shapes and fade into their sagging flesh. It's not a pretty picture people. Again, I love the art, but the human body ages and does not maintain it's elasticity. Forever is too long in the world of tats and don't even bring up the idea of "getting them lasered off should you grow tired of the design or break up with the chick you inscribed on your triceps. I'll stick with other addictions and leave the ink to the pros....

9 comments:

Dave said...

I think it depends on where you get the tatoo. There are places on your body that won't sag as much as others. Also, the size of the tat will matter as well. Besides, if it's something you're really proud of then it shouldn't matter if it sags at all. I've seen plenty of old dudes that have tats that I can clearly make out. Talk to me when I'm 80 and see if my tat sags.

Josue' said...

You have a tat?

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

tats N gats

shqipo said...

how 'bout getting a tat on the place of your body that always sags? :p

i'm with u. i like them but... when i see some 60 yr old fat biotch with wrinkled tats... no sir

Anonymous said...

show me your tats? :P

The D said...

What is special about a tat is that it is forever. The trick is that you need to pick something that will always be important to you. Don't get one of your favorite band i.e. DIO

Anyway, there is something honorable about old men with tats. I saw this 60-70 year old with these arm tats probably from the military and he looked like one cool dude. Sure, they had faded a bit and misshapen, but he wore them with out a bit of regret. You have to respect that.

Dude, we are all going to get old and die, but can we say we have truly lived? Can you look back at something you did that was totally stupid and young and insane? Can you look back at that with a smile? I know I can, and I am glad I did it.

Anonymous said...

tongue ring? someone had to say it. :D

Josue' said...

LOL!

BINGO!

The D said...

It is a barbell! Why do fools have to always make that mistake! You can also call it a tongue stud.