12.02.2007

The Med Ball and This Morning....

Let me preface this post by saying that Dub may be the only one who can appreciate it, but I will throw it out to the blogosphere anyway.

Saturday mornings typically involve me going to a friend's house to work out in his basement and yesterday was no different. It's a finished basement with alot of room and since I do work out at home, but I cannot max out at for fear of pinning myself to my bench and having a screaming wife find me in that state. This friend and I are really close in strength levels and that is an important detail since we can spot each other with no issues and are right around plus/minus 5-10lbs for a max on various exercises.

Anyway, we like to mix up the workouts on occasion so we decided to use the 12lb medicine ball that I purchased a few weeks ago. At this point, it's important to mention that we worked shoulders first. We decided on the following 3 different med ball exercises: on knees facing each other about 8 ft from each other, standing about 8ft from each other w/two hand under-arm motion in throwing and seated tossing back/forth kind of rapidly. We did three sets of 30reps. It felt good AFTER, but was tough as we were going through each set since we worked shoulders pretty good. I felt like I had a really intense workout.

Fast-forward to this morning....I wake up and can barely lift my arms above my head. In conjunction with the deltoids work we did, man, the lactic acid was all over my muscle fibers and super-uncomfortable. It's mid-day now and it has somewhat dissipated, but my delts, bis, tris and forearms still feel pretty pumped.

Morale of the story: change up your workouts and do not fear the med ball! Who would have thought that 12lbs would have been the catalyst to a feeling of soreness and a reality of being pumped the next day?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, the thing with medicine balls is that you have resistance throughout the movement, and its not typical range of motion, which is good for keeping yourself from tearing those precious rotator cuffs. In related news, I maxed 205 bench press *pats self on back*

Josue' said...

205 is pretty solid for your weight. Are you even 170 yet?

Anonymous said...

im 159-160

Josue' said...

i've heard that if you can bench 20-30% more than you're own weight, you are in pretty good shape.

keep it up and take it from someone who dropped the ball on his bench for a while and hit a wall...although, that may not be 100% true since I have switched up my routine the last few years to include much more cardio and sacraficed size because I like to cross-train much more and like to be more flexible and not just stiff from more dense muscle. That being said, 270 was my max a few years ago. It has never gone beyond that. That ceiling can seem so far also since this past weekend I was not "feeling that strong" and only put up 255.....

Josue' said...

oh...forgot to mention...my weight fluctuates between 175 and 180...

Anonymous said...

sounds like you in pretty good shape too keep it up viejo

The D said...

"Let me preface this post by saying that Dub may be the only one who can appreciate it, but I will throw it out..."

I stopped reading here.

^_^