8.24.2005

Commercialization Gone Wild

I know this is a recent (10-15yrs) concept in our society, but it does not mean that I have to like it. EVERYTHING is so friggin commercialized!!; mostly in the world of entertainment. I must lump athletics into that statement as well because the true essence of sports has been gone for a very long time. It's definitely annoying to be forced to associate some conglomerate with your favorite sports team or some aspect of a bowl game or tournament or even some meaningless skills competition event. Take my beloved Detroit Tigers as an example. They play in Comerica Park. Comerica is a nationwide bank that offers personal, small business, and corporate banking services. The company paid several million dollars to have their name on the park. For some stupid reason, "Tiger Stadium" just sounds so much better than a bank name....Here's another one for all you college football fans: The FedEx Organge Bowl. Geez!! It's ridiculous. I'm all for sports teams and the NCAA trying to boost their respective products with "help" from companies, but do I need to see the company name front and center? No! We've all seen the occasional idot show up on ebay trying to "lease" space on their forehead or other highly visible portion of their body for advertising. I know people will do anything for money, but it's just something I happened to feel like ranting about today...By the way, if any reps from Goya or Banco Popular happen to read this, lets negotiate some ad space on my thorax...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give it a few years and they'll be on NBA uniforms :( Seen the soccer jerseys overseas? Crazy.

shqipo said...

I'm very used to what dub-d is saying so it doesn't really bother me that much. I'm used with stadiums having ads all around the field. The naming of stadiums (or even worse, whole championships, e.g. Bush Series) is something else though and it does bother me.

Josue' said...

Guys,
I should have clarified my post. I don't mind the ads like on soccer uniforms or the stadium walls, but I just hate the names of companies AS THE stadiums or playoffs and things like that....

Anonymous said...

I hate it all! Doooooom!

shqipo said...

If there were no sponsors, we would be left with 2 alternatives:
1. Pay much more to watch a game
2. Watch lower quality games

And then we have the old debate: are "professional" athletes paid way too much?

Josue' said...

How about alternative 3? That would be to have these "pros" get paid what the average US middle class segment makes. No more rollin' on dubs and doing the blow off exotic dancers anatomies...

Anonymous said...

LOL, the "blow"; ask me why i just got a visual of a whale snorting a line.

shqipo said...

Here's something for you Josue': "LaSalle Bank inks stadium sponsorship deal with MSU"

Josue' said...

[bites hand and shakes head in disgust] ;(