12.11.2005

Digital Camera upgrade


I have talked about the possibility of investing in a prosumer dSLR camera for some time now. I am still set on getting the Nikon D50, but I plan to wait until after Christmas or the first part of next year to get that camera. I decided to upgrade my 5year old Sony 2.1 megapixel cybershot. I went with a brand that I thought I would NEVER EVER buy since they basically fell off the map and was getting killed by Canon, Sony, Olympus, etc. That brand is Kodak and what really tipped the scales for me was a review I read in the magazine 3D World. The magazine is out of England and a reputable source. They did a comparison of several digital cameras and the Kodak outperformed the other models. A sony they were comparing came in second. How ironic. The model is the EasyShare Z7590 and my only real complaint about it is the size. It is pretty bulky...REAL bulky, actually. I can live with it if the shots come out excellent. Some of that is user-determined though and I realize the responsibility in that. ;p Anyway, I will still keep the Sony as long as it still functions.Over the past 5 yrs, the sony digi cam has done pretty decent work. I never had any real problems with it. It is pretty solidly constructed. I never dropped it outside of the carrying case and it never got wet, therefore, I guess that helps. My biggest issue with Sony came when they moved from the Memory Stick to the Memory Stick Duo! F that! I would have probably bought another one had they not rendered my previous media obsolete. The cool thing about the sony cam was that I could take my memory stick out and plug it right into my tv since I do have a sony tv with a memory stick slot and could watch a slide show of the pics. Excellent integration! I know technology changes, but so do consumer choices and I absolutely knew my next digicam would use SD as the storage media of choice. I was real clear about that being a major factor since I am a fan of SD. I am not a fan of XD or CF (too flimsy!) since I have a feeling both of those will be obsolete before SD becomes so.Plus, I had been buying SD cards after seeing great deals on them after rebate in preparation for my Nikon D50 purchase. Anyway, there are so many settings on this new Kodak cam that it is going to take me a few weeks to get adjusted to it. The Sony was really intuitive and I really liked that part about it. Had I not purchased the Kodak, I was set on Canon for sure. My bro-in law just bought the Canon SD450 and it is really nice. The lcd on the back of that cam is huge! It's a fingerprint magnet. I will post shots with the Kodak in the future and we will see what the people think....

7 comments:

shqipo said...

You're so cool!

That's interesting, u used your old camera to take pics of your new one. It looks like the old one needed replacement - or a new flash - or a new user! :P

Josue' said...

relax...maybe you should invest in a new monitor to see how those pics came out.. ;p

shqipo said...

ha-ha! pics look ok on the monitor that YOU recommended, just dark.

I love that LCD cover, knowing you, it'll stay there until it falls off on its own!

Josue' said...

I think of lcd covers as baby umbilical cords...they should not be pulled off...they will naturally fall off...

shqipo said...

LMAO! And this is coming from the expert in babies and/or umbilical cords. Oh wait, you are, you still have yours! :P

The D said...

oooh.....impressive.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Jenna+jameson+gallery Infiniti polska Buy diazepam with saturday overnight delivery Fico score 557