12.15.2005

Is it real science or just ridiculous marketing...


I will bet on the latter....It's no secret that I am somewhat of a fitness fan(atic) and hold my fitness activities as a pretty high priority in my life. With that being said, I enjoy the occasional sports drink (Powerade, Gatorade, etc.). I am not a huge fan of sports drinks and certainly not dependant on them for when I workout. Water is fine with me. I really only get sports drinks when I find them on sale, but nonetheless I drink them every few weeks. So, earlier tonight I finished up a workout and was just reading the label and started to think of how stupid it sounds for the marketing clowns at Powerade to emphasize "LIQUID HYDRATION" on the main visible portion of the label. Am I missing something here? Would the other states of matter (gas or solid) really provide me with hydration and they found it essential to point out that this DRINK was actually LIQUID hydration? Can hydration be obtained from a gas or solid? Uh....not UNTIL it liquefies....Idiots!!!

Ok, that's all with that. I feel much better now. By the way, Strawberry Melon is a pretty decent flavor for Powerade.

6 comments:

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

What happened to ALL SPORT ?

shqipo said...

Strawberry Melon...it brings out the real girl in you :)

Josue' said...

Relax. I am completely comfortable with sippin' on that flavor whilst crushing you with my heel! :p

The D said...

My father says that one should never ever drink sports drinks. Only if you are a professonal athlete. Even then he doesnt recommend it. Just drink water. He says that those sports drinks will give you kidney stones. Beware!

Josue' said...

Ouch...Kidney stones are something I hope to never have to deal with and I will certainly keep that in mind...

Anonymous said...

Morons.

Powerade contains a grand total of 60 mg per serving (or 150 mg per 20 ounces). Additionally, it contains 30 mg of potassium per serving, or 75 per 20 ounces. That means it's a perfect 2:1 ratio, which is what is what's important when it comes to sodium intake.

Nonetheless, the amount of electrolytes in sports drinks is minimal compared to what you get in FOOD. It doesn't even compare; yet people are so worried about the minuscule quantities of sodium and potassium in beverages?

"Oh noez, don't drink sports drinks unless you're exercising cuz you don't need da electrolytes!!!111" Yeah, I guess you should stop eating foods that contain electrolytes (everything), too. Your box of cereal in the morning contains WAY more than any reasonable amount of a sports drink.

Anyone who thinks sports drinks cause kidney stones is an idiot.