2.04.2006

Lady Luck kissed me...


And it goes a little something like this....Earlier this week, I made some time to drive to a car dealership near our house. My reason was pure selfishness. Well, not really. It was in response to a postcard that I was sent to test drive a new car and they would give me a $50 gift card. I have participated in situations like this before and believe me, they are NOT as simple to get the desired "reward" as advertised. Each car company usually has a different process (number of hoops to jump through) for getting the reward for wasting your time trying to persuade you to buy a car. Either way, I have yet to actually test drive the specific car because, frankly, I don't care to do so. If I was in the market for a ride, then that would be a different story, but to test drive just to test drive? Please.....spare me the theatrics. Anyway, as I said, I have yet to actually test drive a vehicle in the context of getting a postcard mailed to my home with some form of reward attached to it. Examples of past rewards have been Kelty Backpacks and Tees. This time I was on a quest for that $50 gift card. I went into the dealer showroom with my game face on and the sharks (sales clowns) smelt that drop of blood and were ready for a frenzy. It was as if I was the first customer in several hours. Anyway, this guy walks up to me and asks if I was looking for someone in particular. I said, "No, but I did receive this postcard in the mail." The guy acted like he had no idea what it was and read it to himself 2X and then went to check with his manager who was within ear shot of me and I could hear him saying to call blablabla and check on it. Long story short....I waited about 5min walking around the showroom checking out the ridiculous overly priced autos and the guy came back to me and said, "We could not find anything on the $50 gift card, but I have a substitute card you might be interested in." I was thinking he might try to pull a fast one and come at me with some BS story or lame option. He says, "It's from another car and this one is a $100 gift card." In my mind I was still playing it cool and said to him, "Are you sure? Do I need to send anything in?" He says, "Naw, we're all set. Have a great day." I shook his hand and was on my way sans obligatory test drive... It was the fastest Benjamin I have ever "earned." LOL! Anyway, I suppose the true test of their good will towards me will be if I don't get denied at the store when I try to use that thing.....