4.29.2006

Someone almost had a meltdown over nothing...

So, I went to one of my favorite specialty grocery stores this morning to load up on the usual suspects of fruit leather, cereal bars, stone ground wheat tortilla chips and a few other items that we like. Anyway, we don't go to Trader Joes every week since there are only specific items that we get from there, therefore it tends to be like a once every month or two trip to stock up on the items that are much better than anywhere else. They rearranged the store. They painted the walls and put up some new decor and sealed their stone floors. It looks good and I was not bothered by the rearrangement since I knew the items I was looking for were still there even if they happened to be in a different aisle. Anyway, no big deal. I see a few older people talking about how confused they are. Ok, that's fair to assume they might be resistant to change. No big deal. So, I find all of my items and get to the checkout counter and the guy says, "Did you find everything you were looking for?" I said, "Yes, but it was kind of an adjustment to the new layout." He said, "Yeah, we're really sorry about that." I said, "Naw, it's no big deal. If you didn’t have what I was looking for, then I might have a problem." INSERT: OBLIGATORY LAUGHS. The guy tells me, "I'm glad you said the new layout was ok since I have already been cussed out by a few people; literally. They were older people and really frustrated by the new layout." I said, "Are you serious?" He says, "I wish I wasn't." I have much respect for the older generation, but I hope that I don't have such a short fuse when it comes to change when I get to their age. The fact that I am part of the Internet generation might be an advantage. Either way, I just think the people pissed off by the new store layout have a much easier life than many people because it was not that serious and certainly nothing to elevate the pressure over...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

old crows...

shqipo said...

Why do I want to be in another state when you get to their age? Seriously, I don't even want to imagine how picky and bitchy you'll be when you get old! :P

The D said...

In other countries Old people are treated with respect. They are served first, you stand when you talk to them, and you always greet them first.

Josue' said...

D,
I hear you. The US "cure" for the elders are to dump them into a health-violation ridden nursing home...bad moves anyway you look at it... :(