5.01.2006

I need beef like I need a hole in the head...


The scene was set over the past weekend. We attended a wedding reception (2nd weekend in a row for weddings, but that's another story....) at a nice place and the menu for the dinner was exceptional by some standards. Filet Mignon (made to each person's order) was one of the meats for the evening. People tore it up! I looked at that 1-2" thick slab on my plate and it did absolutely nothing for my anticipation. If that Mignon was Pavlov's bell, my salivary response did not even kick in.... I look over to Libera and quietly say, "This looks like crap." Again, I was the person with the issue because at our table of 10, about 9 of the people inhaled that beef. I cut a super thin piece off and force-fed myself and it was exactly as I knew it would be....Needless to say, I yearned for the next meat item on the menu--Chicken. It hit the spot.

The moral of this story is I am just not a fan of red meat. I don't take the angle of an animal rights activist. It's all about how my body feels breaking red meat down. I don't feel energized at all. I feel lethargic. And, I am talking about a tiny piece barely large enough to fit on a fork. Pretty weird how my body has adjusted to years of red meat avoidance. I'd say in the last 10yrs, I have not consumed (in total) more than 1lb (16oz) of red meat. I think animal protein is a major cause of adverse health. I look more at portion control and try to be pretty conscious when I consume chicken, turkey or pork. I purposely avoid ALL meat (chicken, turkey, pork and even fish) 1-2days per week because I do believe that it helps my overall health and forces creativity in cooking. It's true that more frequent eating occurs, but I am fine with that; again, portion control is king and advanced planning of snacks and meals really helps. Vegetables, legumes, fish and soy protein and whole grains can make you forget the red meat if you know how to prepare these items properly.

6 comments:

shqipo said...

" I'd say in the last 10yrs, I have not consumed (in total) more than 1lb (16oz) of red meat." Well, I think you need to reconsider that statement cause you've consumed quite a bit more than that just in the past 2 years you've been coming over and eating veal :P

The D said...

Chicken is one nasty animal. I mean...all shot full of hormones and eats its own feces. No thanks, I will stick with eating a glorious bloody slow moving cow. No bird flu here.

You don't like blood sausage?

What about the other white meat? Pig? Could a Rican actually say no to a tasty pig leg?

Josue' said...

Relax shqipo...

D,
As I am sure you have in NY, we have Amish and Mennonite farmers here who bring their goods to sell to farmers markets and they don't use hormones for their birds....and you cannot get bird flu from COOKED chicken...

Morsilla is nasty! Yuck! No thanks...Why don't I also eat some nice honeycombed trippa...

As far as pork...come on...that is NOT red meat..if it was good enough for my wedding, it's all good for the tastebuds and yes....I would have to surrender my Rican card if I did not consume it... :)

shqipo said...

I'm relaxed - but I can't stand when you lie through your veal chops :)

What's wrong with tripe? OK, actually it is, that's why I don't eat it.

And... so... is pork "white meat" now? Since when?

Josue' said...

LOL! Ok, ok...I missed that. I AM a fan of nice, tender Veal. Yes, yes, yes, but.....The composition of Veal is much different than Filet Mignon, NY Strip, Delmonico, etc....Forgive me for my oversight! :p

As far as pork and "white meat" goes, it was a marketing campaign. I am sure you saw it although you might have been too busy eating steak to notice. :p

shqipo said...

I'm glad you realized your mistake :)

"The other white meat?" Yes, total marketing ploy.