5.05.2006

I thought FREE really meant FREE....


So....the summer is approaching and I am hyped about my garden this year. I plan to drop the vegetable plants in the ground at the end of this month. At this point, I have already added compost, topsoil and cow manure. I put about 2-3" of shredded leaves and grass from the Fall on the top layer that I did dig up (by hand; with a garden claw; the blisters are just about gone from doing that 2-3weeks ago) after adding the topsoil and other items I just mentioned. Anyway, it was Earth Day two weeks ago and I read that Starbucks was allowing you to request bags of spent coffee grounds for your garden. I thought, "Yes, even more organic material for my soil!" Well, I made my way to one near the crib and asked about this whole campaign and the girl says, "Well, the program is so popular at our location that we actually save them in containers for people and they come by and pick them up every few days." I felt like I was the only person who was not aware of this situation. She told me that I could bring a plastic container by and put my name on it and they would save the grounds for me. Ok, fair enough, but still no grounds for my garden soil. I left defjected. Well, that same day we were going somewhere and I knew we'd pass another Starbucks and I went in and asked about it. The chick says to me, "Oh yes, we have several 5lb bags here. How many do you need?" I said, "How many do you have?" She said, "like 5." I said, "I'll take 4." And I did. Man, 20lbs of FREE organic material for my vegetables. Nice! And the barista tells me I can come back anytime to get more.....Excellent...No questions asked.....Perfect situation...Well, as I said earlier, all of this took place around two weeks ago, but I went to a different Starbucks today since I was in a different area of the city and figured I would grab a few bags for my brother in-law's garden and heres's where this post gets it's title..........I walk in at a time that it was NOT busy at all. There were a couple of students in there on laptops, a few older women sipping and chatting. Anyway, I ask the dude about the grounds and he kind of looks at me crazy. I said, "I heard that Starbucks gives spent coffee grounds for gardens." He finally understand me and says, "Yes, we have some, but they are not prepared yet. Would you like to wait." I said, "No problem. I can wait." So, dude prepares the 5lb BAG...JUST one...Sheesh. I was in no mood to ask for another bag since I was not feeling a good vibe from this clown...He calls me over to the counter and hands me the bag and says, "Now what can I get you to drink." I said, "I'm fine. I just came here for the grounds." He says with a serious look, "Are you serious?" I said, "Uh...yeah. I noticed you guys are not busy at this time of day and I don't see anywhere that this bag of SPENT coffee grounds says that I have to purchase an overpriced coffee." Again, he looks at me crazy and I say, "Thanks for the grounds. Have a nice day." What a clown that guy was.... Man, FREE is FREE is FREE is FREE..This is not the first time I have been involved in a FREE situation where the workers acted like I was the crazy one....Anyway, in the future I will head back to the other Starbucks where they gave me no ish when I am in need of more spent grounds....

7 comments:

shqipo said...

LMAO!! Dude, you're such a cheap ass!

Anonymous said...

Beaker! My favorite character!

Josue' said...

Hey, I like FREE...Or maybe I was just held too much as a child. :p

Dub,
Beaker is the ish!

shqipo said...

You probably were held too much as a child...

The D said...

I will note...

Back when I worked at subway, they had this Free Cookie day. The paperwork that came with it was hilarious. First is said to remember peoples faces so that they dont get extra cookies. Then it said how people getting free stuff from a store will feel guilty about it and will then purchase something so that they dont feel like freeloaders.
oh, how I laughed when I read that...then I noticed that it actually worked. People were feeling guilty and getting a drink or a sub. Kids just took the cookie and left.

shqipo said...

Guilty? JD? Are we talking about the same guy here? :P

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! lexapro interaction list dylan development group website