8.13.2006

On this trip to the deli....

There is a local specialty store that we frequent just about every weekend to get deli meats/cheeses, Italian bread, rapini, olives or the occasional Euro confection. Anyway, this place has been in business for a pretty long time. It's family owned and super-authentic in the decor, food and just about everything. Well, I went in to get some deli items and the older lady that was helping me was someone I am familiar with and we just did some small talk and I was watching this new chick interact with some of the other workers. I may be going out on a limb, but I can confidently say this chick may be working at a deli, but did NOT grow up eating authentic deli meats/cheeses and the only exposure to another food culture outide of hot dogs and fast food was in this store and she was pretty much blonde hair, blue eyes and clueless. Not that blondes are not cultured because every culture has blondes within it, but this chick fell out of the American Gothic painting. Ok, let me just cut the crap...she was a WHITE CHICK (who was true to the stereotype). Anyway, the chick was trying to look busy and was actually sipping coffee in a mug and setting it on top of the deli counter. That is unheard of in a deli setting...at least this one since they are really clean and pissing off an old ethnic person will easily get you ripped a new one should they feel you are tarnishing their imported prosciutto or anything like that. So, this chick had her plastic gloves on and did a benign (outside of a deli, of course) wiping of her nostril and minutes later put three fingers in her hair to place several strands behind her ear. Soon after that, an elderly Italian man approaches the counter and requests a pound of bacon. Blondie leans into the deli cooler (curved glass case so that customers can see and request items) and proceeds to grab a lb of bacon with her hair marinated hand and weighs it up for the gentleman. I am screaming inside since just before the man arrived to the counter, she asked me if she could get me anything while the lady was slicing some of my meats/cheeses. I declined her assistance since I figured her out very quickly with the whole coffee mug on the counter issue before. The older lady helping me finished up my several items and I was on my way out and once again just small talking with one of the owners and his grandson. I told them that if Blondie would have done what she did to me, I would have refused my items and requested someone else handle it correctly. I had confirmed to them what they had heard several times within the week (she was only at the job one week) with the greatest example they told me about being that a woman ordered a lb and a half of salami and Blondie decides to just stack the sliced meat rather than layer and place wax paper betwixt each row of meat as is down for EVERY other meat. One of the greatest things about this place is how they slice and package the deli items.

She probably will not be there when I go next weekend.

4 comments:

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

I'm picky about who touches something I'm eventually going to eat... maybe that's why I don't eat fast food much either

shqipo said...

Read the paper tomorrow, perhaps you'll see obituaries of all those ppl this blondie has served...

The D said...

OCD much? First off I will mention the Seinfeld Classic, People will stroke the hair and touch the hair and run their finger through someones hair, but as soon as one of those hairs leaves the head it becomes the most disgusting thing in the world.

It is just a hair. Now I want you to look online and find my one instance in which a persons hair made someone phisically sick. On another note, Gabbagool!!!

Josue' said...

D,
You can enjoy your deli items that way, but don't try and act like I'm being OCD because it is absolutely disgusting for people to do that.

Stroking somone's hair you know or WANT to know is one thing. A total stranger + food makes the situation bad.