1.03.2007

Empty promises to oneself....

Ah...the start of a new year...In my eyes, the major difference is simply a new paper or virtual calendar. I have been laughing in my mind recently as I have been overhearing conversations at work about the various New Years Resolutions that people have been spewing out of their mouths. "Getting in shape" or "working out more" tend to always come up. Such a tired and abused concept. Really. I was also laughing today as I quickly ran into WF on my lunch hour to buy a few sale items. I drove past two separate gyms and the parking lots were jammed and I am sure were 2X as jammed after work hours. Gyms love a sucker. Several dozen suckers keep the gym lights on and pay for new equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly think the world is a better place with fit and health conscious people, but fast forward to March of this year and I can assure you that the gym parking lots will not look as they look in January. Motivation dwindles. Bad habits die hard. People don't change.

Props to anyone who makes a resolution and keeps it. The way I look at it is that I don't need a New Year to trigger the start of something beneficial in my life that I can make happen. I believe in constant evaluation and immediate change or at least an attempt at anytime throughout the year...Not a complete lowering of your defenses to sit and wait for January 1st. Please!

So, did any of you fall into the New Year Resolution trap?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To eat more shito i guess...

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

New Year's resolutions are pointless. Each day throughout the year we need to make 'resolutions.'

The D said...

Who the hell makes new years resolutions?

shqipo said...

damn u, i was just gonna write about this! :P

Josue' said...

well D,
Those of us who don't live under rocks (pun intended) can bear witness to such things that happen...

shqipo,
get off flickr and embrace blogger...did you upgrade to the new version yet?