1.26.2007

Sprats in Oil

So, the maintenance guy at my work is Russian. SUPER-RUSSIAN, even. This guy was an engineer back in his motherland and has done general maintenance jobs since he has been in the US. He is an absolute trip! His Russian accent is "POOOOR-FICT" (as he would say) and we talk about various subjects every few days. The other day, he is flipping out in his work area and calls me to help him with some "email problems". Well, I had a few min to spare and went into his area. First, his area. Man, the guy has been relegated to the bowels of our building. I mean, this area is like an oversized janitor closet-shipping/receiving area-nutty professor lab all in one. But, he has a desk and PC in it. Anyway, I go into his area and he is trippin' because his folder view has disappeared in Outlook due to some inadvertent key stroke. He dares not check any of the toolbar options to swiftly get it back as it was because he has some odd techno-phobia; well, dude is in his mid-sixties so I cut him full slack. I quickly get to the bottom of how insists on having his inbox sorted and all of his folders visible and he's happier than ish....Well, he wants to repay me for helping him. I refuse, but he insists he is going to bring me "special fish"..Hmmmmmm. Special fish, you say? My mind is racing down way too many mental highways beyond the scope of this post.....Well, we do talk food pretty frequently and today he actually brings me a can of Riga Smoked Sprats in Oil. To make a long explanation short, Riga = the largest city in the Baltic States and serves as a major cultural, educational, political, financial, commercial and industrial center in the Baltics. Sprats = small herring found in European waters. It is served smoked but can be eaten fresh, grilled or fried. He said Russians are crazy about this fish. So, I am hyped because I seriously love fish and have not had Sprat...knowingly, at least. I do think the whole Outlook fixing thing was just a coincidence because I brought him a can of smoked Trout in oil a few weeks ago and he told me he was going to bring me some Russian fish soon...I look forward to eating these Sprats (what a funny name) and if they rival the sardines I recently ate from Spain, my Russian friend may need to be the middle man for my newest addiction...We'll see.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

and here I am, wasting my time reading this waiting to hear what it tastes like.

thnx for nothing!

Josue' said...

relax. i ate half the can since it was pretty big...i would say i would definitely eat sprats again...it was excellent...if you have had smoked herring though, the style these were processed is very similar.

i like.

The D said...

How can an engineer be afraid of a computer? That just don't make no sense.

Fish in a can just makes he nervous. Unless it is a sardine served on a pretzel.

Oh and here...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sprat

Josue' said...

Come on D...Think..Dude is in his 60s and more mechanically inclined and can solve problems that way, but mix in a software program outside of this native tongue and he is lost.

Why does canned fish make you nervous? Sardines on pretzels?

Thanks for that urban dictionary link...LOL! I will not think of sprats in the same way again. :p

Anonymous said...

sprat...doesnt sound kosher

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

Mickey, don't be a jew

Unknown said...

I forgot to say: I'm @#$^ pissed! I've helped that certain co-worker quite a bit more than you have, I even went to his @#$% house to fix his PC and all I got was a shot of cheap ass vodka!

The D said...

I only trust fish that I catch or that I know are fresh.

Josue' said...

"trust" how, though?

is it the whole canning process that bothers you?

Josue' said...

shqipo,
what can i tell you? maybe he feels that albos are more accommodating and a rican will cut his @$$ if he does not offer a proper reward. :p

shqipo said...

especially a tough rican like yourself...

Anonymous said...

low blow?