12.29.2005

Keep eating...It could JUST kill you.

Since we are both off from work for the week, we have been maxin' and relaxin'. We decided to meet my mom for breakfast this morning at this excellent place called the Breakfast Club. The name is as cheesy as the decor, but they do not play around when it comes to hookin' up the breakfast. From oatmeal and quiche to lobster bisque and any omelet you can think of, this place is one of my favorites. As many of you should know, I am an absolute food snob and not shy to admit that. Needless to say, we would rather be caught cooking food at home and rarely go out since being burned by too many places and just having bad experiences. Occasionally I can tolerate it though, but like I said, this place is consistently good and today was no exception. Anyway, we were there pretty early today and it was not packed at all. It's a small place (12-14 small tables) so you tend to be somewhat close to the next table. So, we are there eating our breakfast and these three women (two middle aged and one in her mid twenties) were next to us eating. One ordered this monstrosity of a dish. It was similar to crepes, but they were oozing cream cheese and topped with strawberry sauce and powdered sugar. I think they called it a "Blitze" or something like that. For me, one fork of that stuff MIGHT have been cool, but not that platter of the stuff. Sheesh. Would you like a side of Defibrillator with that?!
So, one of the other women orders some fried eggs with a huge piece of ham steak to go with it. Does not sound THAT BAD, but you must consider that these older women were not the picture of health and it was as if I was watching a heroin addict inject themselves right in front of me....So, we were enjoying our breakfast (vegetarian omelet for me, Libera got a wrap of scrambled eggs, cheese and bacon and my mother had oatmeal) and happen to be in earshot of these pitiful women's convo and half of it had to do with doctor visits and awaiting results from biopsies and thing of that nature. I'm thinking, "Uh....maybe a different selection of food might help you more." Anyway, just when I thought these women had enough food, one of them asks about getting a plate of pancakes. Because I was not really focused on their convo and did not care, I heard bits and pieces about the pancakes and just assumed that it was going to be a carryout. Then the server brings a 6" stack of these pancakes and these women (actually ONE of them) inhale the flapjacks. Man, I was amazed...Where is Kobayashi when you need him?! LOL! Amazing how people can complain about their own health and just insist on stuffing their gullets with food until their eternal rest....And to think that this was just breakfast...I cannot imagine lunch or dinner for those silly women...

6 comments:

shqipo said...

Holy crepe! I completely agree with you, some (many?) people are just straaange. When I worked in restaurants, it would agravate me when some, uhm, "oversized" ppl would order chilly dogs (several), chilly and cheese fries...and Diet soda! I was always ready to make some smart @ss remarks but then again, I needed the tips.

Anonymous said...

wow, that's a whole side 'o beef

Josue' said...

So shqipo,
It sounds as though you were an accessory to their crime. :p

The D said...

So, did you also see a brain......and an athlete...and a basket case... a princess...and a criminal...

Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

Nelson from The Simpsons loves Barry Manilow

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »